Tuesday, September 21, 2010

We Tried It! {The Mood Nail Polish Trend} 9.21.10


So...after hearing about the "mood nail polish trend" in a couple of our style magazines, we decided to track down a couple bottles and make it our first review on the blog.



I chose to try out this blue version that we found at Meijer for $3.99. I was a little concerned about the quality of a bottle of nail polish that was marketed quite like this (they could use some better marketing for the labels as far as I am concerned) but I figured for under $4, I would give it a try. My first thought when applying the polish was that it went on very thin and watery. This was definitely going to need a second coat...if not a third! The polish dried very quickly, which made it much easier to get through the multiple coats. I ended up with three coats while watching Gossip Girl and drinking a glass of red...not a bad way to spend a Monday night!

When the polish dried, I looked down and noticed that the tips of my nails were a dark blue while the nailbeds were a bright blue. It almost looked dip-dyed which was so fun! I, of course, immediately jumped up and went into the bathroom to run some hot water over one hand and cold water over the next. Sure enough...one hand was bright blue, the other dark blue! I rushed out to show my husband who, sadly, was not nearly as thrilled about this as I was!



You can see the cute little dip-dyed look in the photo above. Sadly...when I woke up in the morning, not 12 hours later (after ONLY SLEEPING mind you)...this is what they looked like.



Maybe a top coat would help? But then again, then you probably wouldn't have the fun of dipping your hands in water to watch it change colors! Boo...

{amrie girl - amy}





type your stuff here....





I had originally read about this nail polish trend in the June issue of Cosmo. They had tried a similar brand that could be purchased online. However, I need immediate gratification... so I googled 'mood nail polish' and found some at Claire's for $4.50. I chose a peachy/coral shade. It claims that when I'm "excited" it should be the bright coral color and when I'm "bored" it should be a very light peach shade...Yes, it does change colors... but not based on my mood. More so based on the temperature. I dipped one foot into cold water and the other in hot water... thus causing the color change. I've had the polish on my toes for about three hours now and haven't seen a change since I dipped them in water. Yes, it was a cool idea... but I wouldn't waste my $4.50 on this brand of mood nail polish again. At least not to put on my toes...
{amrie girl - jackie} 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review! Cool product, but I don't think I'll be buying since it looks like it wears off so fast! :)

    xoxo - M.
    www.designsbymandiboutique.com

    ReplyDelete